Additional Information
Filing Articles of Incorporation, Corporation Qualifications, Trade Name Registration, Trademark Applications, Service Mark Application. Contact Sales-Secretary of State, 300 South Spring St., Los Angeles.
Call (213) 897-3062

Corporate Income Tax and Personal Income Tax. Franchise Tax Board, 4300 N. Long Beach Blvd., Ste.700B, Long Beach.
Call (800) 852-5711

Sales and Use Tax, Tax on Insurers, Sales Tax Permit, Use Fuel Tax, Property Tax, Motor Vehicle Transportation Tax. State Board of Equalization, 12440 E. Imperial Hwy., Ste 201, Norwalk, CA 90650.
Call (562) 466-1694

Building Permits, Planning and Zoning information. City of Paramount, 16400 Colorado Ave., Paramount, CA. 90723.
Call (562) 220-2038

Contractor's License Application. Contractors State License, 12501 E. Imperial Hwy, Ste 600 (sixth floor)
Norwalk, CA 90650
Call (800) 321-2752

Unemployment Insurance, Disability Insurance, Labor Market Data, Training Programs, Placement Service. Employment Development Department, 1940 North Bullis Road, Compton, CA 90221.
Call (800) 300-5616

Federal Labor Laws. United States Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division, 300 South Glendale, Ste. 400, Glendale CA 91205.
Call (213) 894-1190 or (866) 487-9243

Business License
Practically all businesses, professionals and trades operating in Paramount, are required to have a business license. You may obtain an application from the Chamber or City Hall, 16400 Colorado Avenue, Paramount, CA 90723.
Call (562) 220-2013

The necessary procedures and forms relating to the formation of a corporation can be obtained from the Secretary of State, 300 South Spring St. 12 floor, Los Angeles.
Call (213) 897-3062

Federal Requirements
An application for a Federal Tax Identification Number and a Tax Guide for Small Business which explains employment taxes, income tax withholding, social security taxes, employees' tips, liability for tax withheld from employees, returns, deposits and payment of taxes, may be obtained at the Internal Revenue Service, 501 W. Ocean Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90802
Call (800) 829-1040 or (562) 980-4194

Seller's Permit
Every person planning to sell tangible personal property or lease tangible personal property must apply to the Department of Business Taxes, State Board of Equalization for a Seller's Permit. In filing for a Seller's Permit, the registrant must complete the application for a Seller's Permit and register as a Retailer at the Department of Benefit Payments, to register as an Employer. State Board of Equalization, 12440 E. Imperial Hwy., Ste 201, Norwalk, CA 90650.
Call (562) 466-1694

Small Business Assistance
The Paramount Chamber is a U.S. Small Business Administration Resource Center and provides many publications on a variety of subjects about the operation of a business. In addition, free business counseling sessions are available through the Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE), sponsored by the SBA. Business Resource Center, 15357 Paramount Blvd., Paramount CA 90723.
Call (562) 634-3980

State Requirements
A business is subject to the Unemployment Insurance Code if it employs more than one employee and has a payroll of $100 or more during the calendar year. Any business which pays an employee for his or her service is immediately subject to the California Income Tax Withholding Law. Register with the EDD Employment Tax Office, 10330 Pioneer Blvd, Ste 150, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Call (888) 745-3886

Checklist for Business
  • Are businesses like the one you want to open doing well in Paramount?
  • Does Paramount need a store like yours?
  • Have you developed a business plan?
  • Have you consulted with a professional about your business plan?
  • How much money do you need to get started?
  • Do you know if your suppliers will extend you credit?
  • Do you know where your start-up money will come from?
  • Have you presented your business plan to a banker?
  • Have you computed your expected net income?
  • Have you chosen your business location?
  • Does it have adequate parking and is it easily accessible?
  • Have you checked with the City of Paramounts' Planning Department about the zoning required for your business?
  • Do you know what licenses and permits your business requires?
  • Do you know what business laws you must obey?
  • Do you know a lawyer who can advise and help you?
  • Have you developed an accounting system for tracking income and expenses?
  • Have you researched your responsibility for keeping payroll records and filing tax reports and payments?
  • Do you have experience in the type of business you wish to start?
  • Have you ever had any formal business training?
  • Do you want to have your own business badly enough to work long hours without knowing how much money you will actually make?
  • Is your family supportive of your plans?

If you answered all of the above with a YES, then you have done some hard work and serious thinking. However, you should know that approximately 80% of all new business ventures fail in the first two years. The successful enterprise is one which is started because of sincere interest or experience. The most important element of success is education or experience in management. Nine out of ten failures could have been prevented if the owner had got the necessary management skills needed to operate a successful business.